December 22, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of Year!

I know a lot of singles who don't see the point of decorating for Christmas. They think it's just too much trouble. I disagree.

I don't always put a tree up, but I always decorate. I can't imagine not decorating. Actually, I can imagine not decorating, and that's precisely what makes me do it. I've been listening to Christmas carols on the radio since Halloween, but still, it doesn't feel like Christmas until my house looks like Christmas.

I understand that some singles feel lonely putting the tree up alone, but years ago, I realized that most of my married friends decorated by themselves. Oh, sure, their families would help decorate the tree, but the kids would lose interest long before it was finished, and the dads were usually not that interested to begin with. And no one wanted to take the tree down, so my married friends got to do that by themselves, too. And the truth is, while they may have had visions of the family helping, they knew it was easier when they did most of the work themselves. It was faster, less messy, fighting was eliminated, and they got to set everything up the way they wanted it. Once I figured that out, decorating the tree was a lot more fun for me.

I really intended to put my tree up this year, but as often happens, the clock ran out on me. It takes a long time to gather everything together, unpack it all and put it into place. I never found that block of time this year. But yesterday, December the 21st, I decided the tree wasn't going to happen but it still wasn't too late to decorate. I got out the stuff that was easy to get to, spent an hour or so putting that up, and discovered it was enough. My house feels like Christmas now.

Lights on the wreath give me something to plug in and light up the living room. =)



My cats think the greenery on the banister is almost as much fun as a tree.



Some of the ornaments that didn't make it onto a tree can still brighten my dining room table.



More ornaments made it to the chandelier.



And there's a retro tinsel tree, so I'm not totally tree-less. ;-)



Instead of listening to the random radio Christmas carols I've been listening to, this morning I pulled out the Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra CD and listened to the carols I grew up with, remembering the excitement of Christmas trips to Fort Worth to visit relatives on both sides of the family. Relatives who I can only visit in my memories now, memories that put me in the mood for Christmas, once again. I can feel the excitement looking forward to seeing those who are long gone, and the excitement of waiting for Santa. Along with those feelings of Christmas past, I begin to feel the excitement of Christmas present, and Christmas future. Now that I'm beginning to feel more like Christmas, I think I might have some friends over before New Year's.

If you haven't decorated, it's not too late. Get your stuff out and make your house feel like Christmas! Then get out the hot chocolate and play your favorite Christmas music and thank God for this time of year when we stop long enough to remember the miracle of God coming to earth in the form of a baby, to live among us, to know what it is to live in a human body, to feel human emotions, and to grow up to give His life for us. How can any of us feel lonely when there is a God who loves us that much?

Make the most of this Christmas. It's the most wonderful time of year!

3 comments:

  1. as usual, you have the most sensible approach to everything. however...your divine decorating is very unconventional and
    beautiful. love the colors, love the banister, love the colored balls
    on the table!

    and, yes, even though there are 7 in my family, i am the lonely decorator...but not really lonely, because i enjoy every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How'd you know I did ALL the decorating myself? After 16 years, my husband still doesn't decorate for holidays, but I've come to love it because now I have sole creative control! Your home is lovely and festive and I love the little tree, it looks like my kind of decor -- BLING! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a most blessed new year :-) Love, Eloise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies - I would love to see pictures of your Christmas decor! I think even women who don't do it all themselves sometimes wish they could to get the results they really want.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete