November 19, 2013

Not My Place

Source: Google Images
I can't begin to tell you how many times I have seen someone with a "Homeless and Hungry" sign and thought, "If only I had food in the car, I'd give it to them." Then last week, it happened.

I ran some errands during lunch and grabbed a hamburger and french fries from McDonald's, planning to eat them in the car on the way back to the office. I had just begun to sample some fries when I pulled up at a light and saw the "Homeless and Hungry Vet" sign. For a moment, I was uncomfortable. I had long vowed that if I saw someone asking for food and I had food in the car to give, I would do so. But this was my lunch. I had already started eating the french fries. And it was McDonald's so it wasn't the most nutritious meal to offer someone. It might even be seen as downright insulting.

But I couldn't exactly sit there in front of the guy and continue to eat my french fries. There was that promise I had made over and over again. The voice in my head reminded me that I wasn't being asked to make a huge sacrifice, I was just being asked to do what I had said I would do.

I rolled my window down and held the bag out. "Do you want my lunch?"  "Yes," he replied as he came to my car and took the bag. He returned to his spot, stuck the bag in the bushes, and held his sign up.

Seriously? He wasn't going to eat it? Was he just waiting for lunch hour traffic to die down? Was he hoping for something better? Was he afraid if he was seen eating, it would cost him more lucrative donations? 

Heck, if he wasn't going to eat it, could he give my lunch back to me? After all, I had enjoyed the few french fries I managed to eat before the attack of the guilty conscience.

Then I realized it wasn't my place to question what the guy was going to do with the lunch. It wasn't my lunch anymore, it was his. What he did with it was between him and God. 

The truth is, everything I have is on loan from God. It's my place to remember that and to be obedient to His Word, even when it's inconvenient.

Until next time,
Margaret

"If you have two coats," he replied, "give one to the poor. If you have extra food, give it away to those who are hungry." ~ Luke 3:11






2 comments:

  1. i love this. my family fusses at me for giving $ to people on
    street corners, but i decided long ago that i'm not responsible
    for what they do with it. i pray they use it for food or shelter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they experience so little interaction that any sincere gesture of help must have a positive impact. It really is a matter of obedience. You figured thar out long before I did!

      Delete