November 8, 2010

Cognitive Dissonance Day

I've decided to start a new tradition at Single and Sane: Cognitive Dissonance Day. I'm not sure how often I'll do it, but once in awhile, I'm going to pay tribute to that uncomfortable feeling caused by mixing conflicting ideas.

My first entry: Sleeveless dresses with boots.

Source: Google Images

I don't know about you, but boots make my feet miserably hot, and a sleeveless dress in boot season would make my arms miserably cold. I really don't see the point of dressing to mimic menopause when diminishing hormones achieve the same effect more than adequately.

How about you? Could you wear boots with a sleeveless dress?

11 comments:

  1. Valid point. Plus it just looks ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With an internal thermostat set on "high" since childhood... if I wore boots, I would have to wear a sleeveless dress/shirt!!!!

    But it does look silly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am completely with you on this. how about toeless
    boots?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I see boots with a skirt I think Pretty Women which makes me think "Street Walker". I don't get that look on anyone, but women over 40 who try it look... well... yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lea - I forgot about toeless boots, which are truly pointless (pun intended). I haven't actually seen anyone wearing them yet, but when I do, I'm going to tell them about some swampland they can buy in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right about women over 40 trying it. Kind of desperate, huh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks just fine, but I can't imagine what kind of weather would allow for boots and no sleeves??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw a lady trying on toeless boots at a shoe store the other day, and I couldn't help but think, 'what exactly is the point of those? Are they for the days when your toes are just a bit too warm, but the rest of your foot needs to be cozy?'

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a lover of boots. Having grown up in FL and now in the Midwest I can testify that some booties can be pretty light while others are meant for the cold.

    If I had legs up to my elbows, like a glamazon, then I might be able to pull off this look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope, I don't really like it either. Seems like Summer mixed with Winter which just doesn't work for me:)

    ReplyDelete