November 16, 2010

Royal Wedding!

Source: Google Images
I'm a sucker for a royal wedding. I was in the 9th grade when I got up in the middle of the night to watch Princess Anne's wedding to Capt. Mark Phillips. (Goodness, I had to think awhile before I could pull that name out of the deep recesses of my mind.) It was a beautful wedding, but the marriage didn't turn out so well.

Eight years later, I got up in the middle of the night to watch Lady Diana Spencer marry Prince Charles. The wedding didn't disappoint. Diana's dress was truly fit for a princess, and the scale of the event was beyond any fairytale that I ever read. But as everyone knows, that marriage didn't turn out so well, either.

Source: Google Images

Five years after that, I got up in the middle of the night to watch the wedding of Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew. Yeah, well...

Prince Edward is still married, isnt' he? I feel sure that I got in the middle of the night for that wedding, too, but I really don't remember for sure. You see, by the time Edward married Sophie Rhys-Jones, I didn't have much hope for royal marriages...certainly not for the marriages of Queen Elizabeth's children.

I have much more hope for William and Kate. They're mature enough to know themselves, and they've certainly dated long enough to know one another. I was initially a little creeped out by William's choice of a ring - the same sapphire ring that we first saw on Diana's finger nearly 30 years ago, but I love his sentimental reason for choosing it. "It was my way of making sure my mother didn't miss out on today and the excitement, and the fact that we're going to spend the rest of our lives together." William says that their relationship began as a friendship, providing a strong foundation for them.

We were already rooting for them just from the pictures we had seen, but they were terribly endearing in their engagement interview. Their excitement is obvious, as is their love for one another. While Diana was clearly infatuated with Charles, I'm not sure she ever loved him, and he certainly didn't seem to love her. Remember Charles' comment in their engagement interview? As I recall, when asked if they loved one another, Charles' response was something like, "Whatever love is." Ouch.

NBC News
Despite the mean tone of the nickname given to Kate by the press, Waity Katie, perhaps she was willing to wait so long because she learned something from her future father-in-law's life. Charles, too, had a difficult time committing to a young woman he dated, and she eventually tired of waiting and married someone else. While Charles and Camilla married many years later - after a failed first marriage for each - I can't help but wonder how much heartache could have been avoided if Camilla had shown Kate's patience when she was younger. But then if Camilla had been a patient woman, there wouldn't have been a William for Kate to marry, would there?

I hope that despite the ups and downs that Kate and William will undoubtedly face in their life together, that their marriage will survive, and they will look back and feel as though they each received the fairy-tale ending that so eluded all those other royal couples...

Until next time,
Margaret


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. ~ I Corinthians 13:4-7

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I hope it works also. I'd like to believe in Royal Fairy Tales again too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i watched diana's wedding, too. it was such fun. like
    a dream. i hope your assessment is true of young
    william and kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a lifelong, still unjaded romantic, I think this one looks very promising.
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they'll do well. In a unique situation like theirs, I think waiting was the smart thing to do. So much is at stake.

    Can't wait to see the wedding!! She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm of that age where all my friends are getting married (actualy now they are all having babies..) but at some point I decided to stop going to every wedding I was invited to. Because I was tired of seeing people who were getting married for all the wrong reasons.

    Of course we know nothing about them personally, but I think that is a good sign for William and Kate. They both keep to themselves as much as public people can and they both didn't rush into anything. If a royal marriage has a chance of working these days I think they have a fighting chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness but you are a persistent one! I think royal marriages are kind of like soap opera marriages. They're only meant to last till sweeps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! I remember waking early to watch these weddings. Doubt that I'd do the same with the next one, but I certainly wish them all the very best. They make such a handsome couple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got up in the middle of the night to watch all those weddings too. I always thought Princess Anne was the prettiest of all the brides, for some strange reason...

    Do you realize that when William and Kate get married, Kate will be only seven years younger than Diana was when she died? Kate is more mature, and she and William have already lived together. Diana barely knew Charles when they got married.

    I was disappointed that Andrew and Sarah's marriage failed, because I felt they really did love each other, and I have a feeling they still do. Sarah was silly and indiscreet (and still is...) but I did have hopes for them. They do have two beautiful daughters, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I'll get up in the middle of the night for this one, too. Even at this point in life, I'm hopelessly sentimental about royal weddings.

    Jo, I agree that Anne was the prettiest bride. I think it may have been that we weren't used to seeing her "fixed up" but also that she had grown up as a princess so her dress was much simpler - she didn't have anything to prove.

    I do wonder if Andrew and Sarah might have been able to make it work if he had not been a prince. All of the things that went with being part of the royal family worked against them in light of Sarah's personality. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been fascinated by the Royal Family. I'm hoping for the best for William and Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love watching the royal weddings also! Can't wait to find out the details on Will and Kate's wedding. They seem like a great couple, from what I can deduce watching shows like Dateline:) Thanks for the interesting perspective on Camilla and Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they will have a long and happy marriage, much like Victoria and Albert's... Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and come visit when you can...

    ReplyDelete